OT: Composite/Component [was Re: [mythtv-users] Re: Image quality, what effects it?]

Cory Papenfuss papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Sun Aug 15 10:03:15 EDT 2004

 	Difference betwen the statement "not required to be encrypted" and
"required not to be encrypted"... It looks like everyone is happy on QAM for
the cable, but the "conditional access" could be granted in a number of
different ways as I see it.  It could be in private MPEG streams in the
unencrypted data channel (not likely).  It could be in the out-of-band channels
(but then require a settop box).  The most likely one (I think) is the
cablecard dooflopper that I've heard about.  Sounds like it's been agreed upon
by lots of manufacturers.  That makes a single point of access necessary for
decrypting the signals (private keys, etc).  Very much like directv.

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss							*
* Electrical Engineering Ph.D. Graduate Student                         *
* Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University 			*