OT: Composite/Component [was Re: [mythtv-users] Re: Image quality, what effects it?]

David George david at thegeorges.us
Thu Aug 12 18:19:38 EDT 2004

Warning: humor inserted into responses so everyone won't think I am
flaming (I have noticed an increase in sensitive people on the list
lately).  :-)  Email can be so limiting when it comes to expressing
one's self.

Jay R. Ashworth wrote:

>On Tue, Aug 10, 2004 at 07:16:03PM -0400, David George wrote:
>

>>Answer in simple terms below:
>>

>Simple, but not necessarily *accurate*.

Whatever.  At least it was accurate as it related to the question being
asked with respect to context with which it was asked (phew, would you
believe I almost failed english... don't answer ;-) ).

>>Dr NoName wrote:
>>
>>>ok, stupid question:
>>>
>>>what's the difference between composite and component?
>>>
>>Composite is a single cable with RCA connectors.  Component has three
>>cables labeled Y, Pr, Pb (the connectors are usually, if not always,
>>green, red, and blue) also using RCA connectors.
>>

>I dunno, on most of *my* equipment, they're BNC connectors.
>
>:-)

You got me.  Let me qualify that by saying on *consumer* grade equipment
(the kind us "mere mortals" buy) the connectors are usually RCA connectors.

>>>My TV has only one set of (red, white, yellow) inputs
>>>for (left, right, video). What's that one called?
>>>
>>Composite.  The composite video signal is on the cable that plugs into
>>the yellow connector.  Your right and left audio go through the red and
>>white connectors.
>>

>One step more complicated answer:

I was trying not to confuse the issue even further.  I had even
originally typed more, but not as detailed and informative as yours.
IMNSHO, a simple question deserves a simple answer.  ;-)

[snip additional detailed info about composite, svideo, and component
video]

>Ok, I think it's time for someone to snipe at me now for trying to be
>informative.  ;-)

Oops, I guess I already did that above.

Thanks for the additional info, though.
--