[mythtv-users] DISH 811 and Myth

David George david at thegeorges.us
Mon Aug 9 21:59:13 EDT 2004

Brian wrote:

>Hello.  I am considering making a Myth box however I'm not sure if I will
>be able to do what I want.  I have a 55" Mitsubishi HDTV however I don't
>have a receiver or OTA antennae to get HD.  I plan to purchase the DISH811
>http://www.dishnetwork.com/downloads/pdf/product_brochures/dish_811.pdf so
>I can finally take advantage of HDTV.  I could get Dish Networks HD
>package however I doubt I will be able to pull in any OTA HD signals.  I
>live in the country so Dish is my only option.

Or Directv.  Does "in the country" mean that you are more than 75 miles
from your broadcast digital TV stations?  If not, you may be able to
pick them up with a directional UHF antenna (of course as long as they
are UHF).  If this is an option take a look at http://pchdtv.com for a
card that works with mythtv.

>Here's the problem.  I currently have a standard def PVR going into my TV
>and I would lose the PVR if I got the 811.  Is it possible to use the HD
>part of the 811 with Myth to record HD?

Nope.

>  Is anyone doing this?

There is not currently any hardware capable of this.

>  Apparently
>it outputs HD through either DVI or component.  The Hauppauge PVR250
>doesn't have inputs for that.  Would I have to get a DVI/Component to
>S-Video adapter?

The Dish receiver may also output Svideo (I know the Directv receiver
does), in addition to the HD outputs (DVI/component).  However this will
only give you ~480 output.

>  Would that affect quality?

Yes.

>  Is there anything I am
>missing?  I wouldn't think I am asking to do something out of the
>ordinary.

You aren't asking anything out of the ordinary.  Unfortunately, a lot of
people have been asking for it but it has not appeared.  Things will
become even more complicated in July 2005 when the broadcast flag is
implemented (search the archives for more info on that
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/engine?list=mythtv;do=search_results;search_forum=forum_1;search_string=broadcast%20flag;search_type=AND&sb=post_time
).

>I thought about buying the Dish921 however if I'm going to spend $1000 on
>a PVR, I would rather put the money towards Myth.

Or the HD DirecTivo.  Can record 2 HD or 2 SD or 1 HD/1SD
simultaneously.  I haven't seen the Dish PVR myself, but have heard that
it doesn't even come close to Tivo functionality (or Myth).

>Thanks for your help.
>
>--
>Brian

HTH,