[mythtv-users] maxnewest | maxepisodes | autoexpire

Wed Aug 4 17:24:11 EDT 2004

On Wed, 4 Aug 2004, Chris Pinkham wrote:

> > > the Watch Recordings and Delete screens.  Here's how it would be handled:
>
> > Sounds good.
> >
> > When "auto expiring", would it make sense to sort by lowest priority first,
> > then age?  I get the impression that it currently just checks age.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > John
>
> The auto-expire code was designed to allow the easy addition of other
> methods of determining which program to auto-expire.  Currently the only
> option available on the setup screen is "Oldest", so it expires the oldest
> recording set to auto-expire.  To add another method of auto-expiring is as
> easy as adding another value to the combobox and implenting the function to
> select the list of recordings in the right order for that new option.
> I considered storing the priority that a recording was recorded at in the
> recorded table and adding a "Lowest Priority" auto-expire method, but never
> got around to it since I never have run into the situation where I've wanted
> that.  People who record lots of shows they don't watch would probably want
> an option like that, so if anyone wants to add it, feel free to submit a
> patch.  If you look in mythtv/programs/mythbackend/autoexpire.cpp,
> AutoExpire::FillExpireList just looks at the value of the AutoExpireMethod
> setting and calls the appropriate method to fill in the expire list.
> Currently, the only method in the case statement is FillOldestFirst().
> Adding a new "Lowest Priority" would be rather simple.  You'd have to store
> the recording priority in the recorded table, but that's simple also.

Cool.  I have not needed that option (yet), but I could foresee wanting it.
When I have some time I will look into adding it.

I am slowly getting a handle on how the various Myth pieces fit together.
One area I am weak on is SQL DB management (we use a different DB system at
work).  I know that DB schema changes happend automatically when a new
version of Myth is installed, but I currently have no idea how to tap into
that mechanism.

Thanks,

John