[mythtv-users] Myth Next Step - Actually running it :-)

Dan Morphis dan at milkcarton.com
Sun Aug 1 03:13:04 EDT 2004

Russ wrote:

> > MythTV does NOT use mplayer. MythTV handles playing the video
> > internally. MythDVD and MythVideo *can* be configured to use
> > mplayer, but MythTV does not use, or require mplayer.
>

>  I am not going to say this is right or not since I have absolutely no
>  idea. What I do know is that when I tried to install MythTV rpm it
>  told me I could not till I installed Mplayer.

Probably because the package maintainer set mplayer up as a dependancy.
I can tell you with out a doubt that mplayer is NOT required to use
MythTV.  But, just because a package maintainer set it up as a
dependancy, doesn't mean it's required for mythtv.  More than likely,
you tried to install "mythtv-suite", part of "mythtv-suite" (as defined
by the package maintainer) is mythvideo.  The package maintainer more
than likey set mplayer as a dependancy for mythvideo.  If Axel hasn't
ignored this thread, maybe he could weigh in.

-dan