Some off-topic PC crap - was Re: [mythtv-users] references to "significant other"

bishop bishop at platypus.bc.ca
Tue Apr 27 16:14:11 EDT 2004

Henk, Simon,

Henk Poley wrote:

> Op dinsdag 27 april 2004 09:16, schreef Simon Kenyon:
>
>>i would respectfully request that people on this list stop referrring to
>>"the wife" as though they were a completely different (and inferior)
>>species.

What planet are you from?  The wife runs the house and most of my life,
all in her spare time (for I lead a broing life and need little
management).  I may be overpaid, but she reigns me in from truly
frivolous spending.  Thus, the Wife Approval Factor is completely valid.
  I just can't even see the possible harm in a label like 'WAF', but,
then again, I'm not really scrutinizing it.

Inferior?  You're jumping at shadows, I fear.  Apparently we need to
insert obnoxious smilies into everything so that even the most uptight
person around here knows we're just kidding.  By comparison, you'd be
mortified to hear the pet-names that float around the house, and have
done so for decades.  The last time one accidentally slipped out at a
family gathering, I was teased mercilessly for about an hour.

>>if myth has some feature or does something which is not user friendly then
>>say so. don't blame it somebody else who you have to please. it is pretty
>>insulting and sexist.

Um, again, I'm lost here.  If we can live with the occasional crash but
our wives cannot, is it sexist to mention it?  Insulting?  If the
housemate was actually a man, what happens then?  Is it just insulting?

I'm wondering if you're on a list that's a bit different from mine,
where people do verbally abuse their wives and talk down about them and
stuff.

> You are prefectly correct in your request :-)
>
> Several men have refered to their wifes here something along the lines of "the
> one that must be obeyed", which also seems rather gross to me. Even if their
> wifes would be okay for that (?), it pretty much ensures that not many women
> will stay on a mailinglist like this.

Sorry, Henk.  She likes that phrase .. but, then again, she has a great
sense of humour and it may be an important factor here.  Last time I
checked, a sense of humour is all but required in any marriage expected
to last over a year.

> The numerous responses to this mail seem rather odd to me. Especialy the one
> about free speech and that people who don't want to listen should go away. I
> beg you pardon, am I missing something? (polite asking, gross response? and
> then even referencing to free speech, must be an American :-P)

Putting 'respectfully' in a strange request doesn't make it so, and
never has.  Oddly enough, stereotyping Yanks with some Free Speech
resentment isn't going to encourage acceptance of your own message,
either.  They're cute, if sometimes a bit litigious, so please try not
to harrass them needlessly.

Hmm.  Toss in a few million smilies there;  don't want to potentially
offend anyone.

--
	WAP is the sound a clunky Internet-enabled cellphone makes
	when you throw it at a brick wall in frustration.