[mythtv-users] Misc. User interface questions

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Tue Apr 27 15:04:54 EDT 2004

On Tuesday 27 April 2004 13:17, Peter Valdemar Mørch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After having used Myth for a while, I've collected a couple of
> questions. Hope its OK to bunch them all up in one posting.
>
> Anybody know their answers?
>
> Myth UI:
>
> *) In the "Watch Recordings" screen, there is a row of icons at the
> bottom. Most recorded shows have a tombstone with "RIP", some have a
> hammer, and I forget what other icons are possible. What do these
> icons mean?

Press "1" to see an icon legend.

> *) What is a conflict? If I select two shows to record at the same
> time, one is shown as gray in the "Fix Scheduling Conflicts" screen.
> The GUI seems to indicate, that conflicting shows will be shown in
> yellow, but the other show, the one that in fact will be recorded, is
> not a conclict as it is white. So what constitutes a conflict, if
> this doesn't?

A grayed-out recording indicates that it has been automatically
suppressed for one of the following reasons:

	- it's already been recorded & has not been deleted yet
	- it's been detected as a duplicate as per the duplicate policy for
that recording
	- it's been manually suppressed
	- the scheduler has found another showing of that program/episode and
will record the other showing at an earlier/later time to avoid a
conflict

> Is there any way to be notified of "there is already
> something scheduled to be recorded at this time" when you choose to
> record the show, rather than having to check for that afterwards
> manually?

No.

> *) On many of the screens, especially those where there are "drop
> down listboxes", it is very difficult to see which control or button
> (Next, Cancel, or Back) is currently activated. They only differ with
> a very thin dotted gray line around the selected control which is
> tough to see at a distance. Is there any way to make that
> highlighting more obvious? I tried to change skin but that does not
> help. (Does anybody even know what I mean? I don't know how to do a
> screen dump in Linux - I do in M$ Windows)

Run 'qtconfig' and change your Qt theme.

> *) In the recording screen, the row of selectable items at the bottom
> of the screen ("Don't record this program", "Record only this showing
> of the program", etc.) disappears off the bottom of the screen if the
> description is long. Is there anything to do about that? I've changed
> to a smaller font, and that helps most of the time, but with a long
> description, it still fails on occasion.

What version are you running?  This might be fixed in CVS.

> Mythweb:
>
> *) In the Scheduled Recordings screen, all my scheduled shows seem to
> be deactivated. The "Deactivated" checkbox is the only checkbox that
> seems to do anything. It activates/deacivates all shows. All the
> shows have an "Activate" button next to them. It doesn't seem to do
> anything. What gives?
>
> *) Some shows have a green line around them. I guess this means that
> they will be recorded. Some have a dotted blue line around them. I
> guess that means they've been deactivated, and that there may be a
> bug related to the screen above. Is that right?

Don't know about these; I don't use MythWeb that often.  Make sure your
MythWeb & backend are the same version.  Other than that, you could try
CVS.  MythWeb has improved quite a bit.

> *) When choosing to record a show, I'm given no notice of recording
> conflicts. (See above about conflicts)

Right.  Conflicts are resolved automatically.  It's then your
responsibility to verify that they were resolved in a manner that's
acceptable to you.  If you've set your recording priorities
appropriately, Myth will almost always do the Right Thing.

-JAC