[mythtv-users] references to "significant other"

Kyle Rose krose+mythtv at krose.org
Tue Apr 27 10:41:17 EDT 2004

Simon Kenyon <simon at koala.ie> writes:

> i would respectfully request that people on this list stop referrring
> to "the wife" as though they were a completely different (and
> inferior) species.
>
> if myth has some feature or does something which is not user friendly
> then say so. don't blame it somebody else who you have to please. it
> is pretty insulting and sexist.

Are most, if not all, of the people referring to their wives actually
married?  Almost certainly.

Are they worried about what reaction their wife will have to the
relative ease of use of the Myth box versus other potential solutions?
Presumably.

Therefore, the use of the word "wife" to refer to their wives is both
accurate and necessary from their perspective.  I don't have a wife,
so I don't refer to wives; but it doesn't follow that no one else
should be able to use their wife as a non-geek reference point for the
usability of Myth.

> i'm not being politically correct. nobody could accuse me of being
> pc. just asking for a little respect for the majority of the human
> race.

The very definintion of political correctness is the evasion or
dispreference of facts that are uncomfortable to certain groups of
people.  The fact is these people have wives who are not technically
savvy and need better usability from Myth.  Your request that they
not refer to their wives as if they are not technically savvy even
though they are is therefore *precisely* political correctness.

Somewhat off-topic, but to address one of your later points: women are
generally less technically-savvy than men.  Of course that statement
is not true of every man and every woman individually, but as a
generalization, it is a fact.  Deal.

Cheers,
Kyle