[mythtv-users] Bad News for me...a warning to all

Graham W. Mitchell gmitch at woodlea.com
Sat Apr 24 09:15:52 EDT 2004

> move all (or at least most of) my tuner cards into a tower tucked away
> from the TVs, with several large drives

That's what I've got at the moment.. But I think I'm going to have to split the two functions apart - have a server machine, and a backend machine (just to add to the 4 other servers in the basement... My wife will love me... NOT) lol.

> If only SCSI were much, much cheaper

SCSI is cheap.... BIG SCSI isn't, which is the problem.... I've got 4 Compaq SCSI RAID cards sitting in a storage box I picked up pretty cheap. My main Netware server in the house here has 8 SCSI drives I picked up for about $80 each a couple of years ago.. Problem is that they're only 50GB drives.. And that just doesn't cut it for HTPC...

I did look a year or so ago at some ATA->SCSI converters so I could use my SCSI RAID on larger ATA drivers (120GB drives at the time). I wonder if they're any cheaper, and still available, and work with 200Gb drives.

Graham