[mythtv-users] Re: Bleb.org down??

David myth at dgreaves.com
Tue Apr 20 13:13:04 EDT 2004

Simon Kenyon wrote:

>On Tuesday 20 April 2004 13:01, David wrote:
>

>>I think the first problem here is copyright issues.
>>

>so what does bleb do about this?

Dunno - good question. Seems he's not said...

>>How many users do you think we have in the UK? 10, 20? 1000?
>>If there are <100 (my guess) then it's not likely to draw attention and
>>it's worth the minimal risk - we're just avoiding hammering the RT site
>>and acting as a collective proxy.
>>

>the number will grow.

to... ?
Seriously I can't see it getting to be a problem. And if it does the
copyright issue is likely to have ripped huge chunks out of us first ;)
(and if not - we'd have the numbers for a decent business case so we
could startup on our own!)
We are just talking about servicing the MythTV UK community aren't we?

>>If we make this a publicised / 'official' xmltv feed then we're asking
>>for trouble :)
>>
>>2nd - your design sounds complex.
>>

>yes. i'm a technical architect by trade. complex is what i do :-)

Me too
Simple, effective and reliable is what I do ;-)

>>I think the simple thing is to set up 2 systems (you don't need slew of
>>them, simple redundancy is fine) running the grabbers and have a simple
>>http pull.
>>
>>bittorrent is great if you're a BB user - not so cool if you want to
>>pull a file ;)
>>
>>Databases are great - but... did you know that some people just use text
>>files and directories ;)
>>I think modern filesystems tend not to barf at lots of files - old ones
>>limit you to a mere 65000 or so ;)
>>(even that should see us through the next 20 yrs - in just 1 dir!)
>>
>>Why not write a nice easy xml file? (gonna have to handle XML anyway so
>>no overhead here)
>>
>>run grab_tv_uk_rt in daily mode.
>>Use an XML parser to split out the data on a 1 file per channel/day basis.
>>Then provide a rebuild XML parser (simple concatenation?) and let people
>>issue 1 wget per channel/day
>>
>>Almost simple ;)
>>

>fine. i like what you're saying. can i ask questions?

yes ;)

>does each server run the grabbers in their entirety, so they are independent?

yes - want to exchange xml and run a diff to validate things - cool.
(don't know how error prone the grabber is as I've never had the courage
- or time - to run it twice)

>how do we spread the load?

what load? see sizing above.We're providing redundancy, not load
balancing. (IMHO)
On the servers? Simple http file serving? my 486 could probably handle it.
No database overhead.
Distribute a perl script that downloads the up to date list of servers
and tries something like apt-ping  to use least loaded.
It can also handle errors for the user - and maybe run mythfill - and
handle channel selection...

>how does the list of servers get distributed/updated?

a mirrored web page saying "these are the servers - if you get a 500
blah, try another"
(and see above)

David