[mythtv-users] Re: Bleb.org down??

Rob Willett rob.mythtv at robertwillett.com
Tue Apr 20 08:31:21 EDT 2004

David,

I have no ideas about the numbers of mythtv users in the UK. I would agree that
the numbers aren't high, but would also think that we want this feed to keep
going. I would happily pay DigiGuide (or PureTelly) their £10/year or whatever
to get a decent integrated EPG into mythTv. Since they won't play ball, I want
whatever we do to keep going for as long as possible so would *prefer* to try
and keep things above board and official.

My design is complex only if we have to use a database and even then it's not
too much of a problem. If all we have is a daily updated XML file then simply
copy the file and make it available. I am a great believer in keeping it simple.
However I don't know what the process is for getting that XML file off bleb.org
and so was simply looking at the worse case.

Bittorrent is overkill but it has a lot of things already setup, like automated
distributed downloads and load balancing. Rather than programming websites for
mirrors, use an already existing program. The downside is that the user has to
have bittorrent setup on their system. It is more suitable for widespread peer
to peer distribution than for mirroring and then distribute. I think the biggest
problem here is not the actual download of data, the XNL file is tiny, but the
connection costs if too many people all hit a single server.

I think what you're saying is that we should setup an independent TV XML file
distribution service independent of bleb.org. I have no problem with that but
was originally replying back to mirroring bleb.org. If we setup our own service
then what you say makes sense.

Rob.