[mythtv-users] More LIRC Woes

Scott Nicholson mythtv at scottnic.com
Mon Apr 19 10:19:17 EDT 2004

> Have you verified that /dev/lirc/0 is created after you load the driver?

/dev/lirc/0 is created when I modprobe lirc_serial

> Assuming that /dev/lirc/0 is the correct device file, are you specifying
> this to lircd when you test it? By default, lircd assumes that it should
> connect to /dev/lirc to talk to the device driver. If /dev/lirc/0 is the
> correct device file, you will need to specify '--device=/dev/lirc/0' on
> the lircd command line when it is started in order to tell it the correct
> file to open.

My /etc/conf.d/lircd contains:

LIRCD_OPTS="-d /dev/lirc/0"

And I'm starting lircd with "/etc/init.d/lircd start". Looking at
/etc/init.d/lircd it appears that it should be reading the options and
applying them to the startup command.

> What about the serial driver in the kernel? Are you making sure to either
> not load the serial port driver, or to use setserial to set the uart to
> none so that the kernel won't fight with lirc over the serial port?

I was doing "setserial /dev/ttyS0 uart none" and then to make double certain
I recompiled the kernel with the serial driver modularized. I don't have any
/dev/ttySx anymore, so I assume I don't need to use setserial.

> I wouldn't assume a hardware problem yet. It still sounds like you may
> have configuration issues.

Any more suggestions?
Scott

---