[mythtv-users] Problems with unicode in epg

Torbjörn Jansson torbjorn.jansson at mbox200.swipnet.se
Fri Apr 16 12:51:07 EDT 2004

mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org <> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 14, 2004 at 10:51:02PM +0200, Marco Reichwald wrote:
>>
>> I'm using mythtv-cvs from a few days ago.
>> My problem is that the EPG (onscreen and with mythweb) doesn't show
>> german umlauts. It shows the raw 2-byte unicode sequence instead.
>
> OK, I've narrowed the problem a bit:
> There seems to be some kind of "double conversion". Special characters
> in the database consist of four bytes.
> As if the input routine would be like:
> INSERT INTO program [...]
> latin1_to_utf8(latin1_to_utf8($latin1_string))
>
> Any idea what could cause this problem?

I've seen this problem too.
The program guide doesn't handle utf8 characters properly when it displays
the channel name.

Some developer probably needs to take a look at the epg, I'm guessing its
just a one line fix.

I think there may be some problems in the channel editor in the setup
program too, I remember I had some problems entering chars like åäö for the
channel name.