[mythtv-users] Need help with native lirc

Harry Orenstein ho_9 at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 14 17:58:44 EDT 2004

<snip>

>You are also right, I was hoping this would be something I could fix
>quickly
>without having to attach keyboard/mouse/monitor.  Oddly I'm not getting
>anything in my syslog at all regarding connects.  I can start irw and get
>the responses on screen but upon checking syslog there is nothing there
>regarding lirc/irw.  There has never been anything in my syslog regarding
>mythfrontend.  Now I don't want to be stupid here... but I don't have to
>run
>the backend for native lirc to work do I?
>
>Also, I'm running Mandrake 9.2 but lirc and all myth modules are compiled
>from source.  Also, the machines are all bare metal builds (I will hack
>this
>until I have a total install script that does everything for me, then I'll
>walk away for a couple of hours and come back to test).  There are urpmi
>pacakges used, but only for prerequisites.

About the backend: sorry, force of habit.  I am running a combined front/
back end system and my modules are all tied together so I usually unload
everything and do a clean stepped reload for debugging.  The backend
should not affect LIRC at all.

If you are not getting any messages in syslog then perhaps you need to
add debugging to the daemon (? thought it was the default) or maybe
you can run the daemon as a user process? (spitballing here, I am at work).
You need to get some debugging output from the daemon to see what
is going on when IRW connects and when Myth fails to.  The Myth
frontend only logs to the file you specify (AFAIK) so you should only see
Myth specific messages there.

I am running Mandrake 9.1, so there may be some slight differences.  I
know that I did have some problems with the distro LIRC (0.6.6) and
had to uninstall it before installing 0.7pre2 from source.  Verify that you
haven't left any distro LIRC bits around.

That's all I can think of for now.  Good luck!!

-- Harry O.