[mythtv-users] mythgame

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Apr 15 16:49:18 EDT 2004

Boyd II, Willy wrote:

>There are also perfectly legal, formerly copyrighted games that are
>simply old enough to be in the public domain.

Actually--at least in the US--Congress keeps extending the length of
copyrights to prevent Disney's "Steamboat Willie" (the first Disney
animated film to feature Mickey Mouse)--which was released on November
18, 1928--from becoming public domain.  Since few (if any ;) video games
existed before November, 1928, it's not a matter of the games being "old
enough" to be in the public domain.

Instead, some conscientious video game companies that own copyrights on
certain games felt that the games were "old enough" that they wouldn't
make any more money from it, so they released the games to the public
domain (basically relinquishing the copyright).  Unfortunately, with the
dawn of "embedded gaming" (gaming on cell phones, PDA's, and other
resource-constrained devices), many of the "old" games are coming back
as new, so it is unlikely that any games that haven't already been
released to public domain will be released in the near future (if ever,
for that matter).

(I know this is what you meant, but I wanted to clarify it for anyone
else reading the lists.  :)

Mike