[mythtv-users] input/output error on mythbackend

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Apr 15 15:14:08 EDT 2004

Khanh Tran wrote:

>I've had a PVR-250 running fine for a week or so.
>

>2004-04-15 09:30:03 Changing from None to RecordingOnly
>error reading from: /dev/video0
>read: Input/output error
>error reading from: /dev/video0
>read: Input/output error
>error reading from: /dev/video0

It's not MythTV, it's your ivtv drivers.

I recommend trying different versions of the ivtv driver. For me, some
drivers work and some don't.

I *highly* recommend signing up for the ivtv mailing lists (
http://sourceforge.net/mail/?group_id=73219 ) if using the ivtv
drivers.  They're all relatively low-volume lists (at least compared to
the Myth lists), and answers a lot of questions about the iTVC15-family
of chips.

The current consensus on the ivtv ML (
http://www.poptix.net/ivtv/current/threads.html ) seems to be that
driver stability is significantly increased on a (properly installed)
Linux 2.6 machine.  Those who have reported this are not yet using NPTL
(Native POSIX Thread Library), although doing so may also help--testing
is still being done.

Regardless of which kernel you use, I wouldn't use any ivtv drivers
prior to ivtv-0.1.9.   Other versions you may want to try:
ivtv-0.1.9 with Matthias Badaire's prepdma patch (from
http://membres.lycos.fr/badzzzz/ )
ivtv-0.1.9 with Hans Verkuil's patch ( from
http://www.xs4all.nl/~hverkuil/ )
ivtv-0.1.9a (from http://membres.lycos.fr/badzzzz/ --it's basically
0.1.9 with prepdma, Hans' patch, and Linux 2.6 support)
ivtv-0.1.10pre2 with Chris Kennedy's patches (from
http://kmos.org/~ckennedy/ivtv/ )
-- Specifically, 38a, 36b, 35, 27, 24, 07D, 06a (in that order)

If using Linux 2.6, start with Chris Kennedy's patches.

Users of the PVR-350's TV out should also use Matthias Badaire's ivtvdev
X driver.

Mike