[mythtv-users] Re:MythTV Help Website

Maarten mythtv at ultratux.org
Thu Apr 15 08:32:37 EDT 2004

On Thursday 15 April 2004 06:11, Robert Kulagowski wrote:
> > On a personal note, I vote for a wiki. I find that the current docs are
> > indeed lacking, especially more so if:
> > * You're NOT using a PVRx50 card
> > * You're NOT located in the US
> > * You're NOT using one of the featured distributions.
>
> Great.  Looking forward to your patches.  SGML or plain text only
> please, no HTML.
>
> Also, there used to be a MythTV european-centric site, but the original
> author lost interest, passed it off to someone else, who has _also_
> apparently lost interest.  http://members.home.nl/hcj.kruse/mythtv/ has
> been showing the same "temporary" page since 2004-01, so I removed the
> link from the docs.

I know. :-(   I even tried to contact them people but to no avail, and it is
even worse than a non-maintained site, they just took what there was offline
so that info is unavailable for everyone.  This should NOT happen.  for me,
it is another good reason to wanting to put it all in a central place
(mythtv) since then the chances of someone losing interest (thereby killing
off that contribution) are much less likely.

About this mailinglist I notice that its charter tends to get over-broadened.
I'm not saying it should be split up or anything, just that the topics tend
to drift _very_ far apart now.  If you look at the last month or so, you see
dozens of posts discussing diverse hardware, ditto for people looking to get
their TVout up to par or working at all. Then I see lots and lots of posts
about mythmusic which has little or no links to mythtv, only the name and
that it fits into the same framework. But it's still 'just another plugin'.

It gets to where one cannot see the forest for all the trees.

Searching this gets very difficult, as mythtv encompasses SO much.
The Mythtv project ranges from handling remotes, through mpeg knowhow,
editing, codec settings all the way through to openGL / X11 issues and what
hardware to buy and how to keep it all quiet. And let's not forget the
inevitable newbie linux users' questions that just installed linux for the
first time in their lives. Don't get me wrong, they all have equal right to
be here, but I notice a heigtened flow of posts and that will only get much
worse in the near future, what with all the recent media coverage.

If we don't do something about it now, soon coders will have no time to code,
list regulars will get too fed up with repeated questions and this list will
just consist of numerous newbies asking each other how to work things.
A simple and self-maintained site where people can easily share their own
victories and information would help a damn sight, I think.

And a wiki is easier to split up into sections. "Hardware PVR card issues"
"non-US xmltv issues" "Linux distribution build issues" "Choosing Hardware"
"managing TV-out problems" "MythMusic questions" "Xbox questions" etc. etc.

Just my humble thoughts...
Maarten

--
Linux: Because rebooting is for adding hardware.