[mythtv-users] Re:MythTV Help Website

Dan Conti dconti at acm.wwu.edu
Thu Apr 15 00:56:41 EDT 2004

Well what do you expect? For everyone to just snap to attention and reanswer
the same question again? Keep in mind that most of the questions that get
answered here either get answered once, or like 300 times.

> On a personal note, I vote for a wiki. I find that the current
> docs are indeed
> lacking, especially more so if:
> * You're NOT using a PVRx50 card
> * You're NOT located in the US
> * You're NOT using one of the featured distributions.
>
> I've had enough experience with the above to contribute something;
> documentation.  And there are better forms than searchable ML archives.

You are making some assumptions here, such as 1) someone will invest the
time to keep extensive documentation current, 2) people will actually read
the documentation, etc.

But the truth is that people dont read the documentation. 80% of the
developer posts on this list end up being hyperlinks to places in the docs
where obvious questions are answered. And there are limits to how extensive
the documentation can be; just keeping it to a limited set of distributions
is a task in and of itself, since there are a significant number of
dependencies for this project. Trying to keep on top of all the
distributions and all the variations between versions would be a nightmare.

I urge you to consider your issue from the view of those who are on the
providing end here. It's nice that you are offering to help, but you have to
understand that these are empty words until you start providing patches.