[mythtv-users] Myth w/Directv

Chris Thompson ct-myth at cthompson.com
Tue Apr 13 13:51:54 EDT 2004

Boyd II, Willy (wboyd at fulbright.com) wrote:
> I currently have an all-in-one box (small apartment), and such a setup
> does *not* kill the lag induced by the ring buffer.

I stated that poorly. What I meant was, having video signal and capture out
at the TV so you could switch to direct for live TV and get rid of the ring
buffer entirely. The ring buffer lag should be the same front or backend.

> I use timeshifted live tv when I need to show off 'pausing' ;-)

I keep hearing people say how they didn't use the features inherent in live
TV through myth and that just floors me. I'm moving to Myth from digital
cable with teh Time Warner DVR, a Scientific Atlanta box. I can't imagine
living without pause and rewind. I have three kids, and it's helpful to be
able to pause live TV to go deal with them.

> I really want to build a small, *silent* frontend for the bedroom too.
> Only reason I haven't yet, is my requirements include lots of
> divx/mpeg/quicktime video, so I can't
> completely skimp on peformance, and I also can't depend solely on
> hardware mpeg decode like on a pvr-350.  So I'm still researching
> something I can run near silent, but also play fullscreen divx and my
> ~3000kbps pvr250/mpeg2 shows over network.

I'm leaning towards the Pundit with a Celeron 2, which SHOULD have enough
for that. With a good ultra quiet P4 CPU fan and the Pundit in quiet mode
to slow the case fan, it should be really quiet.