[mythtv-users] Re:mythmusic gui woes

Isaac Richards ijr at po.cwru.edu
Mon Apr 12 17:25:22 EDT 2004

On Monday 12 April 2004 05:04 pm, Michael J. Sherman wrote:
> With the new cascading left-to-right menus, it also seems that now
> there is less control given to theme writers on making the interface
> look decent.  With the old tree view, the theme writer could control
> the outside frame, highlight bar, font and text colors.
>
> How does one go about customizing the new tree selection thing as part
> of an installable theme?  Say I wanted to get rid of the green
> coloring or the top-to-bottom gradient on the menu bars and use an
> image background.

It'd be an extremely minor modification to allow a theme maker to provide an
image for the background, or not use one at all, even.  Currently, you can
customize the interior colors (not the black outline, but that'd be easy to
change) / transparency amount, font, text, background, etc, through the theme
file.

> Given what's been going on with the Xbox Media Center, it's making me
> all the more depressed that Myth isn't better than it is from a
> user-facing perspective.  I think there has been a LOT of great focus
> on the underlying technology, and it does stuff that no other software
> app can even touch.  What I would love to do is focus on making a new
> theme that polishes up the interface to "compete", if you will, with
> the Xbox Media Center.

Start contributing, then.  UI improvements are always welcome.

Isaac