[mythtv-users] Shuttle box cooler with XP Mobile?? (OT?)

Mark McKelvey memckelvey at comcast.net
Mon Apr 12 17:27:18 EDT 2004

I am considering upgrading my Shuttle SS40G from its present Athlon
T-Bred XP1700+, and I'm considering using a Mobile XP2400+.  From what
I've read, this CPU would be capable of running faster than the 1700
while using less power (and hopefully running cooler and quieter :)) if
properly set up.

What I don't know is whether the FS40 motherboard in the SS40G will be
capable of running the Mobile XP at the correct lower core voltage.
Unless the board can automagically detect and provide the right default
voltage to use, I'm afraid it will just run at the same 1.8V the 1700
wants and actually use more power than my present setup.  There is no
user-settable core voltage option in the BIOS, and I am noob enough to
not know how these things are set.

So will it run cooler or hotter with a mobile XP?  If anybody has run a
Mobile XP in an SS40G, I like to know how it turned out :)

Sorry for the somewhat off-topic post.  I have Googled and tried the
Shuttle and AMD websites, without finding any useful info.

Cheers - MMcK