[mythtv-users] A modified sony.pl

Jason Donahue mythtv at timekiller.org
Sun Apr 11 08:51:48 EDT 2004

One thing that has been bugging me is what a PITA it is to order a PPV
on DTV from within MythTV. The delay behind "Live" tv makes ordering
somewhat tedious. Which makes me switch over to "Live" satellite just to
order the PPV, then switch back.

Well, I've solved this issue for me (and my sony SAT B-50). Attached is
a slightly modified sony.pl. The modification includes an "order"
function which runs when change_channel is invoked. The function sends
the button sequence to order a PPV through the data port.

On my B-50, when I change to a PPV, the sequence is "Select, Down,
Select, Select". This sequence is now invoked wheneven I change the
channel. My receiver ignores the sequence on normal channels, it also
ignores it if the showing is "no longer available", or the PPV has
already been ordered. This makes a perfect solution for me because the
ONLY time the order function does anything noticable is when I change to
a PPV channel I have not ordered. I don't have to do ANYTHING to order a
PPV now. The best part is - I can SCHEDULE PPV recordings :)

Obviously different receivers will need a different sequence. I got the
hex codes from http://home.att.net/~mevenmo/sonydsscodes.html
It should be fairly easy for anyone to modify (took me about 20 minutes
start to finish).

Some receivers may not ignore the order function on non-PPV channels, so
an if channel = statement may need to be created, but since I didn't
need it, I didn't add one :)

Hope others find this as useful as I do :)