[mythtv-users] sleep/wake with Jarod's guide

Dave Churchill froods at alphalink.com.au
Tue Apr 6 08:16:22 EDT 2004

Hi,

This may be due to the way the auto-shutdown feature is implemented.
According to the howto:

-----
The scheduler keeps track of the idle status of the MythTV system. To
determine whether or not the MythTV system is idle, the following
conditions must be met for a a period of time defined in the "Idle
timeout (secs)" parameter.

    * no client is connected to the server
    * no recording (neither LiveTV nor a regular recording) is currently
taking place
    * no recording starts within a definable amount of time ("Max. wait
for recording (min)")
    * the "pre Shutdown check-command" returns 0
-----

The problem is probably to do with the first item -- i.e. that there is
a frontend connected to the server.  I haven't tried this out yet
(auto-shutdown/wakeup is next on my list of things to do), but looking
at the source shows that there is a check for connected clients in the
shutdown code.  Also, if the auto-shutdown feature is enabled, then the
frontends will make a connection to the server as soon as they start
up.  Thus, if a frontend is running, even if it is just idling on the
menu, the backend won't shut down.

This is mostly fine, except in my case (and presumably a lot of others),
I have both frontend and backend on the one machine, and the front end
starts up automatically on boot.  When I exit the frontend, the xsession
shuts the machine down (not so great if the frontend crashes...).  The
problem is that the wakeup time is only set if the backend did an
auto-shutdown.  I guess what I should do is only have it exit the front
end, so that the auto-shutdown will eventually do its work (and also set
the wakeup time).  Probably what I'll do is to patch it so that it
always checks the wakeup time when a new recording is added.

Oh, and this is my first post to the list <waves>, congrats to all the
developers for producing such a sweet package.

Cheers,

Dave.