[mythtv-users] Aitech Wavewatcher

Harry Orenstein ho_9 at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 2 14:08:51 EST 2004

>From: "Mark J. Small" <msmall at eastlink.ca>
>To: Discussion about mythtv <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
>Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Aitech Wavewatcher
>Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2004 13:18:33 -0400
>
>On Friday 02 April 2004 12:07, James Orr wrote:
> > Has anybody used the Aitech Wavewatcher with mythtv, does it work?
> >
> > http://store.yahoo.com/surpluscomputers/aiwatvtvtuvi.html
>
>There are two versions of this card in circulation.  The one that I have
>uses
>teh Zoran 36120 chip and its linux kernel driver seems to be broken.  You
>may
>be able to get it working with on old 2.4 series kernel (say 2.4.8 or so).
>didn't try.  This is the "official" version of this card
>
>There is an also an OEM version that is unsupported by Aitech.  I believe
>that
>it uses the bt878 chip, so it will probably work with linux, this with
>mythtv.
>
>The way to tell is to count the large chips on the card.  If it has two,
>then
>its a zoran based one that with a broken linux driver.  If it has one, then
>its a bt878, and should/could work.
>
>Mark

Just as a follow up to this, the AiTech site with this info is:

http://www.aitech.com/support/ftpwwtvpci.htm

They state that the OEM card is unsupported by them (as
Mark says) and that only the retail version of the card is
supported.  If you look at the link for the beta software
for the OEM card is indicates that the card uses BT878
(also as Mark says), so I guess support under Linux would
be exactly backwards from AiTech's stated policy (again,
as Mark says).

If you are uncertain, at the least the AiTech site has
pictures of both cards for comparison.

HTH!

-- Harry O.