[mythtv-users] installation failing with apt-get

Capriotti capriotti at mpcnet.com.br
Mon Sep 29 01:42:25 EDT 2003

Hello.

This is going to be one of "those" messages.

I am an old FreeBSD user now starting at the Linux world just because of
video. A friend of mine asked me to install and test a mythtv box to
evaluate it, and I found the task less than easy to accomplish.

After hours and hours searching for documentation - which is easy to find
and abundant - I find myself a bit frustrated and needing help.

Let's see what I did and did not, according to

>KDE Desktop Environment
>SQL Database Server (be sure to select MySQL under the "Details" section)
>Development Tools X Software
>Development KDE Software Development Kernel Development
>Web Server (if you want to use MythWeb for scheduling recordings)

KDE ok.
SQL ok
Devel for X - not installed
DEvel for KDE - not installed
Web server - not needed.

>5. Install Ethernet Driver (Pundit only)

not the case - skipping

>6. Get and install apt, update your OS packages

rpm -ivh
http://atrpms.physik.fu-berlin.de/dist/rh9/atrpms-kickstart/atrpms-kickstart-9-5.rh9.at.i386.rpm

returns a lot of  conflicts with apt-0.5.5cnc6-1.rh90. I somehow managed to
get apt to work, and did a

apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade

which worked great after several minutes of download.

I skept  apt-get install qt-MySQL
because I was not sure if I'd be needing it. Left it for latter.

since this was a simple evaluation box, I chose to skip the

>7. Get and install custom ATrpms kernel

as well, for it would not be needed at the very fist moment, which is video
playback only.

I don't have a nVidia card, so I skept
apt-get install nvidia-graphics-kmdl-$KERNEL nvidia-graphics-glx

Now to the interesting part. When I try a

apt-get install mythtv-suite

I get
"mythtv-suite: Depends: mythtv (>= 0.11) but it is not going to be installed"
for every single mythtv package.

That is with the

rpm http://apt.physik.fu-berlin.de redhat/9/en/i386 at-stable at-good
at-testing

repository, for, with the other default repositories it does not even find
the packages.

something similar happens to
apt-get install ivtv-kmdl-$KERNEL ivtv

I really belive that it is some configuration problem with apt, or the
lack/conflict with the apt-kickstart pkg. I could go to them and ask, but,
since it seems to be more mythtv-content related, I decided asking here first.

Can somebody help me ?

thank you.