[mythtv-users] general recommendation? also a question

Cooper Bethea cooper.bethea at duke.edu
Fri Sep 26 22:31:33 EDT 2003

hi everyone-
after breaking my tivo, i've decided it's time to graduate to breaking
slightly more expensive things, so i want to buy a box with which i can
run mythtv. i've had a look at the documentation and the hardware specs,
but i'd really like a specific recommendation from someone who's running
mythtv as to good bare-bones systems to buy - am i correct in assuming
the general cheapest, easiest solution is to buy a bare-bones athlon
~2000 and put a capture card and a geforce4 in it? i will privilege ease
of use over cost to some extent.

also: we've got digital cable at our house, a pioneer bdv-1100 box which
boasts s-video and digital audio outs. has anyone had success capturing
from these sources (i assume it would save an analog->digital
generation)? also, is anyone using ir or the serial/usb ports on the
receiver to control it, a la tivo? if it seems possible (especially the
serial/usb control option) i'd perhaps be willing to try to implement a
solution.

thanks! this looks like a great set of software.