[mythtv-users] general recommendation? also a question

jose rubio debian at nc.rr.com
Sat Sep 27 11:54:52 EDT 2003

On Fri, 2003-09-26 at 21:31, Cooper Bethea wrote:
> hi everyone-
> after breaking my tivo, i've decided it's time to graduate to breaking
> slightly more expensive things, so i want to buy a box with which i can
> run mythtv. i've had a look at the documentation and the hardware specs,
> but i'd really like a specific recommendation from someone who's running
> mythtv as to good bare-bones systems to buy - am i correct in assuming
> the general cheapest, easiest solution is to buy a bare-bones athlon
> ~2000 and put a capture card and a geforce4 in it? i will privilege ease
> of use over cost to some extent.

Yep, that sounds good.  As far as the capture card, I like the
pvr-[2,3]50.  It leaves your cpu alone to do anything else you want
PLUS, with the pvr-350 you will (soon?) be able to do tv-out probably
also with little cpu usage.
Don't get me wrong though, cpu usage is not an issue with the athlon
_unless_ you are planning to have more than on capture card which is my
goal so you can do pip or record two shows at once while watching
another recording.. then you start working the cpu hard...

> also: we've got digital cable at our house, a pioneer bdv-1100 box which
> boasts s-video and digital audio outs. has anyone had success capturing
> from these sources (i assume it would save an analog->digital
> generation)? also, is anyone using ir or the serial/usb ports on the
> receiver to control it, a la tivo? if it seems possible (especially the
> serial/usb control option) i'd perhaps be willing to try to implement a
> solution.

Can't help you here.  my stupid box does not have serial so I have to
blast it which is a pain.

> thanks! this looks like a great set of software.
> ----

you're welcome. it is great but be prepared to work hard.  I still have
my Tivo running..

-jose-