[mythtv-users] can't get lirc to work on rh9 and pvr250

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Fri Sep 5 00:49:33 EDT 2003

On Thursday, Sep 4, 2003, at 22:43 US/Pacific, and wrote:

> I've been fighting with lirc and alsa the last few days and everything
> seemed fine, but I just can't get lirc to work... I've been following
> Jarods howto and it's been really helpfull and I'm very impressed.
>
> I'm using a pvr250rev1 card and the stock redhat kernel 2.4.20-8 (to
> be able to use VIA drivers) and an epia m10K. Everyting goes fine
> until I try to ," /sbin/service lircd start ". I only get one OK.The
> first infrared remote control daemon won't start, but the mouse daemon
> will...
>
> /var/log/lircd looks fine
>
> I ahve some "lircd(pctv) ready" lines, followed by some "accepted new
> client on /dev/lircd" lines. I even get a few "caught signal" lines ,
> but haven't seen any actions from these yet.....
> I get no errors when I load any other drivers (I think... ;-)
> irxevent is running and I have otherwise followed the howto  closely.
>
> Any suggestions?

The (pctv) part sounds like you're running w/a config file from the
0.6.6 lirc rpm from freshrpms, which is preconfigured for use with a
Pinnacle PCTV card and remote... Also, what output do you get from '#
ll /dev/lirc'? It should be its own device file, and not a sym link...

> OT: Alsa was a hard nut to crack, as they would compile and install
> fine, but wouldn't load...,but with the help from someone on the alsa
> list I found that the symbol error problem was due to the redhat
> modified kernel and I had to add a file after ./configure, but before
> compiling.

That's a well-documented problem that has been covered before. :)

The Freshrpms and ATrpms alsa kernel modules already take that into
account, and have never NOT worked for me, though I've also done plenty
of source builds without issue, assuming you remember that little step
before compiling ALSA.

--Jarod

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE