[mythtv-users] Recommendations for quiet Athlon cooling?

Jeff Williams JeffW at rockstargames.com
Thu Sep 4 17:56:26 EDT 2003

Just out of curiosity I looked up the Glacialtech cooler at my favorite cooler comparison page:  http://www.dansdata.com/coolercomp.htm

Seems to be an ok cooler, but I'll just plug the one I currently have in my htpc also, as it actually scores better and when I bought it only cost $9 at newegg: http://www.dansdata.com/coolercomp_p5.htm#sfr2

I like Dan's comparisons because he actually measures the ability of these things to carry away heat rather than an indirect (and inaccurate) measurement like the temperature of your CPU with a particular cooler attached (as a lot of reviews do).

The PAL8045 and other large HSF's are there too, and they still score better...  But it all depends on how much you want to spend, how cool you want your system to be (there's obviously an acceptable range), and what your environment is, including the environment inside your case.  You can definitely get decent results from a cheap cooler if you're careful with everything else (and careful in selecting a decent cheap cooler, like one of these mentioned here).