[mythtv-users] XBOX DCT2000 Questions.

Michael Greb mikegrb at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 2 20:28:10 EDT 2003

Eric Smith said:
> 1) Is possible to use the usb-xboxir.o module to train a remote other
> than the xbox's native remote control? I looked through the code and saw
> that it has debug code that should allow output IR signals to a file. I
> do not know how to tell the compiler to turn the debug code on or
> specify which file it should write to. I have also looked at using lirc
> because it seems much more configurable but I don't know how to tell
> lirc to use the xbox's USB IR control as a device. Anyone have
> experience with this? If so what is the path of least resistance?
This should be possible.  Debug output goes to the kernels ring buffer,
accessible with the dmesg command.  If it doesn't recognize a command, it
gives what it received and says so, this would allow you to plug that
value into the module.  Something that might save you some time though,
the xbox remote uses the same IR codes as a standard RCA DVD player.

> 3) It seems that after a single days of use the xbox frontend get very
> slow. Restarting the frontend usually corrects the issue. Do the
> frontend and backend require therapeutic reboots?
Most likely what you are experiencing is the frontend being swapped out of
RAM.  The consumer xbox only has 64MB of RAM thus it isn't too hard for
something to end up getting swapped out.  On top of this you have a
ramdisk.  Under GentooX once booted up you're left with about 58MB of
usable RAM, according to the guy who made that distribution.  I have
noticed this under Ed's Debian too.  After we haven't been using it for a
while, when we come back it takes several seconds for it to react to the
first key press.  After 20-30 seconds everything runs fine.

Something that may help you out if you don't mind trying an un-official
patch...  Yesterday I submitted a patch to the developers list for Xbox
LED support.  Check the Gossamar Threads archive or you can email me off
the list.  One of the side effects of the frontend asking the backend
every x secs if it is recording is it prevents the frontend from being
swapped out.

I've been running the backend patch since Friday evening and the frontend
patch since yesterday afternoon with no stability problems.  When I came
home this afternoon and switched the TV over to the Xbox, hit a button and
it goes immediately.  So, now I don't have the frontend swapping out.  I
don't use the Xbox for anything else (well in Linux anyway, still play
games) so this isn't a problem for me.  People using the Xbox for other
things may find this undesirable.

If you interested in trying out this patch and need help, you can find me
on irc as mikegrb in the following two places:
     #xbox-linux on irc.oftc.net
or   #mythtv     on irc.freenode.net

Michael