[mythtv-users] MythTV / HDTV: DVI vs S-Video Interface Sugges tions

Jim Paris jim at jtan.com
Fri Oct 31 18:25:38 EST 2003

> > verify. I would rather use an s-video cable, but at the time (it's
> > not running right now), I need about 20ft of length and I'm cheap so
> > composite it was :-)
> hahaha, I'm with you.
>
> Does anyone out there know enough about the differences between svid and
> composite to explain the differences he and I are experiencing?

Differences between composite/s-video/component are basically just
quality; composite combines luminence & both color axes (1 wire),
s-video separates luminence and color (2 wires), and component sends
the everything separately (3 wires).

On the other hand, your TV may handle them differently; for example it
may support progressive-scan on component input, but not on composite
or s-video.

-jim