[mythtv-users] One MythTV nOObs first working weekend, more questions

Sean shomann2 at insightbb.com
Mon Oct 27 12:11:08 EST 2003

Man this program rocks!

I have finally gotten past the idea that I was going to break something and
have been using it since mid Sat. I have noticed a few strange things that
may have since been cleared up.

One thing is that my ATI Remote Wonder works only on the front panel case
ports and NOT on the Shuttle included bracket or the integrated ports.
Strange to say the least. Are those "reserved" for other items under Redhat
or is this an nForce thing or what?

Second, while I am using an Xmodmap posted by someone else, I am pondering
exactly what is possible with this remote. Since the driver only claims
keyboard/mouse replacement I assume macro programming is out?

Speaking of macro programming, I have noticed several threads on control
with MythTV. Is it not possible to have one button on the remote say,
immediately switch to watch TV or play a DVD?

Is there a breakdown of the button assignments within MythTV's interfaces?

How flexible is the menu theming? I only ask as this is an area I would love
to dabble in if possible (kind of a give back to the community thing).

Now on to the trouble areas. While watching TV I can bring up the on-screen
guide. If I select a program to record, the interface invariably freezes and
necessitates at least a logout/login.

Saving the most important for last. Since I have 2 PVR-250 cards (which seem
to be working very nicely - for the most part) I can watch TV while
recording with very little trouble. However, if I happen to be watching TV
while a program is recording and ANOTHER program is scheduled to start right
after, the LiveTV interface will kick out of pause and go to the recording
show. I think I have tracked this down to the overlap I have set for
recording but to me a far more elegant way of working would be to have the
main interface come back up or even a dialog appear.

It should be noted that I am using 0.11 (as my install came right around the
time there was mass confusion apt-getting the Myth suite).

Have these issues been cleaned up in 0.12? How hard is (shudder) and
upgrade?

Thanks as always
-Sean