[mythtv-users] mythvideo and irxevent

James L. Paul james at mauibay.net
Thu Oct 23 10:29:41 EDT 2003

Joseph A. Caputo wrote:
| On Thursday 23 October 2003 09:05, James L. Paul wrote:

|>Ian Forde wrote:

|>|
|>| Heh - that's Bluecurve.  Want to shave some of the CPU and memory
|>| usage from your box?  Use fvwm2 instead.  I believe it's in either
|>| rh7.2 or rh7.3.  Less bloat (on your myth box) is gooooooodddd....
|>| ;)
|

| Actually, I think it's 'metacity'.  'Bluecurve' is the name of the
| common theme RH developed to give KDE & Gnome the same look & feel.

Yep. It's metacity. I didn't recognize it in the process list.

|>Actually, I was using twm with 0.11, but switched it back to the
|>gnome-session while working on 0.12. CPU usage hasn't been different
|>between the two, though I don't doubt the memory footprint is bigger
|>with bluecurve.
|>
|>Does the window manager really have any impact on CPU when Myth has
|>focus?
|>
|>I admit I'm not up on bluecurve and such, I have been using RH as my
|>desktop OS since version RH6, but I have always used my own kernels
|>and Windowmaker. I didn't bother installing WM or doing any desktop
|>configs since I planned on only running Myth on that box. ;)
|

| Check your focus policy to make sure it's 'click to focus' rather than
| 'focus follows mouse'.

Good suggestion, but I am using click to focus. Turns out that's the
default. Also, if the myth window didn't really have focus I don't think
the keyboard events would be getting to it. It's only the irxevents that
don't get through until I click, so I suspect some weirdness in the way
irxevent inserts events.