[mythtv-users] A few MythTV and PVR250 questions.

Oxygen oxygen at asisard.com
Mon Oct 20 13:02:20 EDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Christopher Maahs" <cmaahs at eatenbygrue.com>
To: "Discussion about mythtv" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
Sent: Monday, October 20, 2003 11:48 AM
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] A few MythTV and PVR250 questions.

> On Mon, 20 Oct 2003, Oxygen wrote:
>
> > I want to buy a set of 2 PVR-250 or any other hardware encoder
> > (recomendations very welcome) and i will be recording 2 live feeds with
> > them to burn to DVD.
> >
> > So what i basically need doesnt involve changing channels, or anything
like
> > that, i only need the 2 cards to record at the same times on certain
> > occations (most of the time only one will be working). This live feed is
> > very important and cannot be loss, so there will be a VCR recording
> > also for added security.
> >
> > So, can i install mythTV and forget about TV listing and all that, and
> > just have a button on my remote control to start recording from card 1,
> > and another to start recording from card 2? (same goes for stop
> > recording) and having a preview of both things as they go on a split
> > screen, or something like the picture in picture?

> If this isn't something that needs to be scheduled, or even if it is, it
> seems that MythTV might be a bit of an overkill for your project.  I
> suspect the software that comes with the PVRx50s might actually accomplish
> the same thing.

Yes, but i dont think the software will be able to handle 1 recording from
each card and i could use the schedule thing to record the Focus Groups
(thats what the live feeds will be about) on the time they are supposed to
be starting, specially if im not on site and i get a call, i could use the
web interface.

> > Also to the PVR250 im watching at eBay are made for gateway and they say
> > they must be placed on the middle PCI slot, so i assume i cant buy 2 of
> > this and use them in the same computer? ill have to buy the retail ones?

> I'm guessing the middle PCI slot is simply a Gateway thing, rather than a
> general issue with running two cards.  I'm sure someone on the list has
> two running in a machine somewhere...

Thats good to know, i hope someone can add a bit more on this.

Thanks a lot!

Oxy.