[mythtv-users] no sound after transcoding to MPEG4

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Sun Oct 19 19:50:00 EDT 2003

Joachim Gehweiler wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am using mythTV with an Hauppauge PVR-250 in Germany (PAL-B/G); I am
> running RedHat 9 on my machine and installed mythTV, IVTV and LIRC as
> suggested in
>
> http://pvrhw.goldfish.org/tiki-page.php?pageName=rh9pvr250
>

> [ I even got the EPG to work in Germany with tvmoviefetch, available at
>
> http://www.bucksch.com/1/projects/various/xmltv/
>
> and some manual modifications to the channel MySQL-table ]
>

> Nearly everything is working fine, but there is still some big problem
> left: If I record some TV show, I can watch it as long as I did NOT
> transcode it, that means everything is ok with the original recording
> (video as Hardware MJPEG; sound as MP3 or uncompressed). But after
> transcoding to MPEG4, the video is ok, but there is no sound! I tried
> various combinations of the MPEG4 settings and the audio settings, but
> in all cases the sound was missing.
>

> [ Some time ago (April 2003), someone had a similar problem (except he
> was using RTJPEG instead of Hardware MJPEG), but there was no reply to
> that post

If you have your recording profile set as 'Hardware MJPEG', that might
be part of your problem.  The PVR-250 is a Hardware MPEG (*not* MJPEG)
encoder.  The codec is MPEG-2.  It sounds like you have the card
configured properly (or you wouldn't be getting good recordings), but if
you've mis-configured your recording profiles, it might explain why your
transcodings are screwed up.

-JAC