[mythtv-users] no sound after transcoding to MPEG4

Joachim Gehweiler post at joachim-gehweiler.de
Sun Oct 19 20:38:38 EDT 2003

Hi all,

I am using mythTV with an Hauppauge PVR-250 in Germany (PAL-B/G); I am
running RedHat 9 on my machine and installed mythTV, IVTV and LIRC as
suggested in

[ I even got the EPG to work in Germany with tvmoviefetch, available at

http://www.bucksch.com/1/projects/various/xmltv/

and some manual modifications to the channel MySQL-table ]

Nearly everything is working fine, but there is still some big problem
left: If I record some TV show, I can watch it as long as I did NOT
transcode it, that means everything is ok with the original recording
(video as Hardware MJPEG; sound as MP3 or uncompressed). But after
transcoding to MPEG4, the video is ok, but there is no sound! I tried
various combinations of the MPEG4 settings and the audio settings, but
in all cases the sound was missing.

[ Some time ago (April 2003), someone had a similar problem (except he
was using RTJPEG instead of Hardware MJPEG), but there was no reply to
that post

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/archive/MythTV_C2/Users_F11/Transcoding_from_250_source_files_P76286/

Has this problem been solved outside the mailing list in the meantime? ]

Has anyone any ideas what is going wrong and how to correct it?

Best,
   Joachim