[mythtv-users] Success story and my own Tivo comparison (long and windy)

Harondel J. Sibble help at pdscc.com
Fri Oct 17 11:32:30 EDT 2003

On 10 Oct 2003 at 9:19, Joseph A. Caputo wrote:

> > > 'D' key in the 'Watch Recordings' screen.  Also, I believe someone has |
> added
> > On my 0.11 system, as often as not, that will cause the frontend to lockup,
> > deleting from the delete recordings screen doesn't exhibit this behaviour.
> That shouldn't happen....

Just figured out when this will happen consistently.

I have dual tuners, a PVR-250 and an ATI TV Wonder, the 250 is the primary
card for recording. If I am watching a previous recording on the 250 and a
second show starts recording on the TV Wonder, if I finish watching the
prerecorded show and hit esc and then select delete show and select the
confirmation to delete, this locks up the frontend, alt-f4 etc do not work at
this point. Also the backend and maybe the ivtv drivers goes screwy at this
point, the only way I've found to fully recover is to reboot, init 1 then
init 5 doesn't solve the problem, nor does shutting down the backend,
unloading the alsa drivers, btaudio, bttv and any related modules and then
reloading them all.

I have to issue a killall frontend at this point.  If I then bring the
frontend back and try to watch live tv or a recorded show I get a black
screen, alt-f4 shuts that down though.  After killing the ftontend, if I do a
/etc/init.d/mythbackend status, it shows 5 or 6 processes running, however if
I then do a /etc/init.d/mythbackend restart, it says it can't find the
processes to shutdown, it then says okay for mythbackend started.

I also notice that after killing the frontend, the recording on the TV Wonder
stops (no flashing of the harddrive light).

Any other info needed to look into this?

--
Harondel J. Sibble
Sibble Computer Consulting