[mythtv-users] Home theater setup question (MythTV, Pundit and Infocus X1 projector)

Vassilis vassilisv at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 16 02:35:02 EDT 2003

I’ve been following this list for a while now and I am
really exited about MythTV. I am about to upgrade my
home theater and I would appreciate a few suggestions!
My setup will be the following:

MythTV on a Pundit box
PVR-250
Infocus X1 projector
Sony A/V receiver
Panasonic DVD player (with 480p capability)

My main dilemma is on how to connect everything
together. I have the following options the way I see
it.

VGA only
This is where I need your advice: I have been told
that I can get the best quality by connecting my
pundit box directly to the projector using a VGA
cable. Of course that way I can no longer use my DVD
player and so I will have to get a DVD player for the
Pundit. My questions are:

What about Dolby Digital sound, how will I connect the
pundit to my A/V receiver (S/PDIFF?)?

Will I be able to use 480p (or better) from the pundit
box, how will the quality compare with the DVD player?

What about the length of the VGA cable, I need 20 to
25 ft?

Will MythTv support this setup, or do I need another
application to play my DVDs?

Component wiring
Run component wiring from the DVD and the Pundit to
the A/V receiver and from there component again to the
projector. The problems is that I need a VGA to
component converter for the Pundit

S-Video only
Of course the simplest (and cheapest) solution would
be to just run S-Video cabling. I will not mind doing
that as long as the quality does not suffer too much.

Thank you and sorry for the long post,
Vassilis