[mythtv-users] Can't locate module lirc_dev / lirc_i2c

wallabystew at shaw.ca wallabystew at shaw.ca
Wed Oct 15 19:04:56 EDT 2003

> The one I'm stuck on now is as follows.  I follow the
> guide up to the point of installing LIRC and follow the step for
> uncommenting the line in /etc/apt/sources.list for .... at-bleeding. I
> run
> the apt-get update then the two lines for installing the lirc. I copy
> the
> lircd.conf file for the grey remote and add the lines to modules.conf.
> At
> this point i run the /sbin/depmod -a and it is ok ecept for the
> unresolved
> symbol.... ivtv-fb.o which refers to pvr350 i believe.

>Yes, you can safely ignore that if you aren't using TV-out on a PVR-350.

Great..

> OK there. I then run
> /sbin/modprobe lirc_dev and get
> modprobe: Can't locate module lirc_dev
> returned, then
> modprobe: Can't locate module lirc_i2c
> returned after the next line.

>What does your modules.conf file look like? Perhaps something is amiss
>in there...

Modules.conf as follows

# For ivtv
path[toplevel]=/lib/modules/`uname -r`/drivers/media/video
# For bttv and saa7134
path[toplevel]=/lib/modules/`uname -r`/v4l2
# default path
path[toplevel]=/lib/modules/`uname -r`
alias char-major-61 lirc_i2c
# ivtv modules setup
alias char-major-81 videodev
alias char-major-81-0 ivtv
options ivtv debug=1
options tuner type=2
options msp3400 once=1 simple=1
add below ivtv msp3400 saa7115 tuner
add above ivtv lirc_dev lirc_i2c
alias usb-controller usb-ohci
alias usb-controller1 ehci-hcd
alias ieee1394-controller ohci1394
alias sound-slot-0 i810_audio
post-install sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -L >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
pre-remove sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -S >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
alias eth0 bcm4400

>Also, what output do you get from rpm -q lirc

this returns
lirc-0.7.0-pre2_13.rh9.at

>and rpm -q lirc-kmdl-`uname -r`?

this returns
package lirc-kmdl-2.4.20-20_29.rh9.at is not installed

> I have seen references to running rpm -e --nodeps lirc before running
> the
> apt-get install for lirc and have tried this first without success.

>Generally, this shouldn't be necessary anymore.

> Am i missing a step in all of this, or have I messed the order of
> doing this
> up?

>Not sure. Get the info requested above, and we might be able to better
>ferret out the problem...

I'm hoping this help shed some light. Thanks for the reply BTW

Frank