[mythtv-users] ivtv, CLE266 module load order error

Derek Anderson public at kered.org
Wed Oct 15 09:31:14 EDT 2003

hey all...

so we all know about setting an alias in modules.conf to tie ivtv to
video3, letting the CLE drivers take 0-2.  here's my current:

	alias char-major-81 videodev
	alias char-major-81-0 via_v4l_drv
	alias char-major-81-1 via_v4l_drv
	alias char-major-81-2 via_v4l_drv

	alias char-major-81-3 ivtv
	alias char-major-61 lirc_i2c
	options ivtv #debug=1
	options tuner type=2
	options msp3400 once=1 simple=1
	add below ivtv msp3400 saa7115 tuner
	add above ivtv lirc_dev lirc_i2c

well, it appears that this is working simply by coincidence.  (at least
on my box)  when i moved starting mythbackend to init.d, mythbackend
starts before xfree.  this causes ivtv to be loaded before via_v4l_drv.
  and low and behold, ivtv was still grabbing video0.

i've solved this on my end by adding modprobes in the right order to
rc.local.  (and i've since removed the ivtv alias)  but i wanted to know
if anyone else had seen this, and possibly figured out why the alias was
being ignored?

--
  Derek C. Anderson
  public at kered.org