[mythtv-users] OT: My new MythPC Setup + some issues.

Saravanan Subbiah saravanan_subbiah at sbcglobal.net
Sat Oct 11 18:36:56 EDT 2003

I am setting up my new MythPC. The configurations is

Intel 2.4C HT OCed, Biostar P4TSV MATX, Athenatech A100BB case,
Kingston HyperX 3500 DDR, 160 WD HD and WinTVGo.

I have ordered MSI GeForce 5600 Fx 128MB Graphics card which I waiting
for arrival. I am planning to do some gaming too, thats why.

Setting up the PC went on well. I used ArcticSilver's new Ceramique
component and my CPU temperature stays in 28-30 C !

I have installed XP (for testing the setup + for games). Now I am
installing Gentoo from suggestions from list members. I am new to Gentoo
as my other m/cs are all Mandrake.I haven't come to the actual MythTV
installation part yet. May be in a couple of days.

I have a few issues though.

1) Sound ! - I bought Biostar P4TSV mobo 'coz it was one of the very few
MATX mobo that gave "Smart Fan Speed control" feature in the BIOS. Well
when I enable this feature, my Fan completely stops. (Both CPU and
System)

By running Speedfan and manually controlling the FAN speed I found that
if I reduce the FAN speed to anything less than 95 %, the FAN stops. It
makes this grr noise at about 94-95 % as if it doesn't have enough power
to spin due to drop in Volts.

Do I need some special kind of FAN to use this feature ? I am using
Intels stock CPU Heat sink + Fan and Antec's SmartFan for system fan.

2) Till I get my Video card, I am using the built-in motherboard's VGA
output. Is there any special driver for I865G chipset which uses the
Hardware acceleration etc for XFree86 ? How do I am get them for gentoo
?

3) I bought this Parex Wireless keyboard which was suggested by someone
in the list coz it was cheap and the shop is just a mile from my home.

http://www.softwareandstuff.com/acc_wlskeywithintmse.html

The Keyboard is good for the money (15$ !!) and has a gyro stick. But I
am not able to make my Philips learning remote to learn any keyboard
mapping. The manufactures site
http://www.parex.com.tw/product_wireless_keyboard_ir9703.htm says that

"The receiver unit accepts two types of IR data format, one is parex
special encoding format for keyboard and mouse in 34ms data packs,
another one is a regular remote controller format, for instance, NEC
remote control format in 58.5-76.5ms data pack."

Will I be able to make my remote learn the codes ? Or Do I need a new
remote or keyboard ?

Anyways, this mail has already become long and if you are still reading
till here, thanks !

I will post my MythTV setup experience one I am done. (Will also bug for
suggestions if I have any problems. :-)

thanks,
Saravanan