[mythtv-users] MythTV compile problem w/ XvMC support

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Sat Oct 11 01:17:45 EDT 2003

On Friday, Oct 10, 2003, at 20:28 US/Pacific, Harry Orenstein wrote:

> I got a little further after my last post.  I re-read the Nvidia
> readme and found out that only one screen can use XvMC in a dual
> monitor configuration.  The solution was to change the Device sections
> in the XF86Config-4 file to flip-flop the Screen values.  If I make
> JUST this change (no other changes) I can get XvMC working on the TV.

Huh. This is in dual X session mode, right? (Meaning no TwinView
enabled). From the sound of it, another user might actually have
hardware acceleration on both displays when using TwinView (I've asked
for confirmation).

> There appear to be some hiccups still in XvMC support (some documented
> in this list, some apparently not).  I'm still trying to decide if I
> will leave XvMC enabled or not.

I still have to get around to trying it...

> Have you had any problems with either the inset TV image having black
> top and bottom borders in the EPG (M from watching TV) or aborting
> from mythfrontend when trying to reenter watch TV (2nd time)?

Nope. But then I don't do a whole lot of watching live TV anymore. I
just record stuff, and watch later, once the commercials are flagged.
The only problem I have is that an occasional recording stops recording
at a random spot for no apparent reason. I think it is maybe one out of
every 20 or 30 scheduled recording, but there's no pattern... I've
recorded 5 hours of back to back programming without problems one day,
then the next day, a single one-hour recording fails, but the day after
that, three more consecutive hours record fine. I shouldn't bitch
though, because I haven't really investigated yet. :)

> I'm not sure, but I think the motion blurring is also worse in XvMC,
> even if I try to tune the dnr settings.
>
> This is not to say that any of this would stop me from naming my
> firstborn after Isaac   ;-)

Too late for that here. But I'm thankful too!

--Jarod

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...