[mythtv-users] MythTV compile problem w/ XvMC support

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Fri Oct 10 18:04:44 EDT 2003

On Friday, Oct 10, 2003, at 15:24 US/Pacific, Harry Orenstein wrote:

> Jason,
>
> Just got home and tried it too.  Compiles just fine now.  But there is
> something that nobody ever mentioned (at least *I* can't find a
> mention of it): XvMC won't run on a second x-session.  You have to run
> TwinView in Clone mode (at least, Mythfrontend crashes if I try to run
> on a second x-session on my TV).  Does anybody know about this and is
> just playing their cards close-to-the-vest?

Are you running a second X session, or a second X display in
non-mirrored mode w/TwinView?

If I recall correctly, it states in nVidia's driver docs that most
hardware-accelerated functions will work on a secondary X session. See
Appendix R: Configuring Multiple X Screens On One Card.

As far as TwinView and getting XvMC on the secondary display, see
nVidia's driver docs, Appendix I: Configuring TwinView, which states:

Q: Do video overlays work across both display devices?

A: Hardware video overlays only work on the first display device.
    The current solution is that blitted video is used instead on
TwinView.

I believe XvMC is a hardware video overlay (someone correct me if I'm
wrong), so TwinView mirrored mode, or no hardware acceleration, it
would appear.

--Jarod

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE