[mythtv-users] Geforce4 440MX (Gainward) tv out black&white

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Fri Oct 3 10:29:53 EDT 2003

On Friday 03 October 2003 10:36 am, Jarod C. Wilson wrote:
> On Thursday, Oct 2, 2003, at 04:39 US/Pacific, Joseph A. Caputo wrote:
>
> > On Thursday 02 October 2003 11:29 am, Greg wrote:
> >> I am having some trouble with my new Geforce card, in that the S-video
> >> out display only black and white during boot and while at the
> >> console. I
> >> was having trouble with X until I set the "TVOutFormat" to
> >> "COMPOSITE",
> >> and that corrected the color problem. The S-Video cable connects to
> >> the
> >> Composite port on the card... Does anyone one know how to get the
> >> console displaying in color with this card? Also my screen keeps
> >> rolling
> >> over, I'd imagine I need to play with fbset to get the V-Sync
> >> corrected
> >> on the console (X is fine) any tips on how to do this is appreciated.
> >
> > I've got the same problem with my framebuffer console on my GF4MX.
> > It's fine
> > while booting up, but as soon as I start X, if I switch to another VT
> > it goes
> > all wonky, and even if I kill X my console is not restored.  If only I
> > had
> > the proper modeline for fbset!
> >
> > If anyone has good fbset modelines for a GF4MX, I'd appreciate a copy!
>
> Hm... I had that same problem at one point. I can't recall what exactly
> it was that fixed it, but it was not a problem anymore with this setup:
>
> Section "Device"
> 	Identifier  "Videocard0"
> 	Driver      "nvidia"
> 	VendorName  "Chaintech"
> 	BoardName   "nVidia GeForce 4 MX 440"
> 	Option      "RenderAccel" "1"
> 	# TV Out Setup
> 	Option      "TwinView"
> 	Option      "TwinViewOrientation" "Clone"
> 	Option      "SecondMonitorHorizSync" "30-50"
> 	Option      "SecondMonitorVertRefresh" "60"
> 	Option      "MetaModes" "1024x768, 1024x768; 800x600, 800x600;
> 640x480, 640x480;"
> 	Option      "TVStandard" "NTSC-M"
> 	Option      "TVOutFormat" "SVIDEO"
> 	Option      "TVOverScan" "0.6"
> EndSection
>

> I want to say that it was the removal of the "ConnectedMonitor" setting
> that fixed it. Instead, I let the card auto-detect the displays, and
> the problem went away. Can't test it anymore though (at least not very
> easily), because I'm now just using VGA -> Component video (though
> under this setup, I can't ever use VTs; even the bios screen is
> scrambled, so nada until X loads, but the picture quality is worth it).

Hmmm, I'll give it a try, but I don't think that will fix my problem.
Currently, everything (including VTs) looks great using VGA; on the TV-out,
the BIOS & boot messages are great, and X is great, but once X has started
the framebuffer console VTs are all scrambled.  It looks like a refresh rate
or sync issue, and I'm almost sure that the proper modeline for fbset will
fix it.  I seem to recall that before I enabled the framebuffer console (to
get a boot splash screen), the VTs were fine.

-JAC