[mythtv-users] constant flames against people that are new to thelist - can't we all be adults here?

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Fri Oct 3 04:24:42 EDT 2003

On Thursday, Oct 2, 2003, at 13:27 US/Pacific, Boyd II, Willy wrote:

>> I didn't say people should 'search' the documentation. I said they
>> should read all of it in its entirety. Yes, there are those with a
>> "special skill" that can get through without reading everything, but
>> I'm saying everyone should take to read ALL the documentation.
>
> <sarcasm> YES, just like every geek on this list (myself included)
> reads
> every singe line
> of his new home theater instruction manual, or video game console
> manual
> (ok... maybe when I'm bored & interested) </sarcasm>
>
> No, we search it when we have a problem.  Inputs not working?  Check
> the
> table-of-contents, check out that chapters on cabling.  Skim the
> index, oh
> ok: audio setup instructions are on page 62... etc etc.

Perhaps adding a google-esque search capability to the docs page would
help, since many people's manual searches aren't so hot... Dunno how
hard that would be to add. One could always simply post the docs in
their entirety on the mailing list, and let gossamer handle the
searching (not sure if there is a message length limit).

> Maybe I'm different, but anyone I know that likes to tinker is the
> type that
> just likes to plug it all together and *does* not read every word of
> the
> instruction manual for anything unless it's for pure education.  But
> then
> again we have really good searching skills, as the previous post was
> talking
> about...

Okay, so I don't usually read the entire manual for most things either.
But MythTV is a bit different than a television set. I managed to get
my entire system working the first time without asking anyone anything.
Granted, I beat my head against the wall quite a bit, and spent about
30 hours getting to the point where I had a functional system, but this
was pre-0.9, when PVR-x50 support was only in CVS (so no rpms publicly
available) and not yet heavily documented. I can now install from
bare-metal in about 2:30 under RHL9, including all errata, though I
have the install process mostly committed to memory...

--Jarod

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...