[mythtv-users] constant flames against people that are new tothelist - can't we all be adults here?

Tim Harvey tharvey at alumni.calpoly.edu
Thu Oct 2 12:06:24 EDT 2003

instructions.  I
> have no comment about this, just an observation that some people find
it
> much easier than others.
>
> Yepp, that's just what i'm thinking of this. MythTV get's better -
more
> people are using it. And these people won't necessarily be
Linux-Cracks,
> like it used to be. And these people WILL ask stupid questions.
> This looks like the situation Linux was in some time ago, only cracks
> where using it, and everybody moaned about the might of M$ and why
> everyone is using such a lousy OS. Then more and more "normal" people
> started using Linux and what happened? Now the cracks moaned about
> people trying to get Linux running, it seems like they weren't happy
> that their OS was getting more and more public... I think the reason
> these cracks got angry was that normal people tried to take their
> snobbish position, they couldn't believe that they are better then
> others any more.
> Hehe, and the same was about the Internet, at first only students used
> it, and more and more not-so-intellectual people used it (I only have
> mention A0L and Usenet...) and we were in the same situation.
>
> I think that everony should be happy about every new user, because it
> helps to broaden the base that e.g. MythTV stands on, and the more
> public it gets, the more other developers will get interested in it.
>
> There are other ways about helping these people, why isn't the FAQ
> posted here once in a week, like in most Usenet-Groups? Or maybe put a
> big hint to the web-faq in the subscription mail? Or even better,
start
> a new Newbies-List...

'the FAQ'????  Bring it on!  I haven't come across one yet, but I have
been known to miss the fairly obvious on many occasions.  Please post
such a thing.  If there is one, I think it's a huge oversight that its
not one of the first things you see when you visit http://www.mythtv.org
(if there is one, I fail to find it anywhere on the site, but then the
site isn't searchable either).

Tim