[mythtv-users] TV-card only (with good quality)?

Cooper Bethea cooper.bethea at duke.edu
Wed Oct 1 15:55:41 EDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-10-01 at 14:30, Dan Conti wrote:
> The ATI TV wonder is very different from the ATI All-in-wonder cards. IIRC
> isaac used to have a tv wonder, and many people have posted good
> experiences with them.
>
> But you'd know that had you read the website, or the mailist list
> archives. ;)

oh, okay, i get it. i just assumed that either people were abbreviating
"all-in-wonder" to "wonder" or that they were running under the same
drivers since they were made by ati under similar names. maybe someone
could add a caveat to that note in the faq to make it less confusing -
something like:

NOTE: The ATI All-in-Wonder cards (these are different from the ATI TV
Wonder cards, which are supported under bttv) will not work as a MythTV
capture device, as the GATOS drivers that are available provide only a
limited subset of the V4L API.

and it may not be my place to criticize here, but honestly there's a lot
of curtness and unfriendliness coming into this list, which is nominally
here to help users get going with this project. i understand that isaac
may not have time to respond fully to each question on this list, but
maybe in that case it's best to let someone else field the question
rather than give me a rude answer like "An 'ATI TV Wonder' card is not
even close to the same thing as an 'ATI All-in-Wonder' card." i'm not
asking for anyone to hold hands, and i think we certainly all appreciate
the work put into this project, but rudeness is counterproductive to
building a good user community, which would help you spend more time on
development (or whatever else) and less time responding to newbie
emails. just something to think about.

thanks for the help, dan/isaac.