[mythtv-users] Controlling directv through low speed data connection.

tarek Lubani tarek at tarek.2y.net
Tue Nov 25 21:34:40 EST 2003

Hey!!

All that you have said is about right.. There is tonnes of support on
hooking up your DirecTV receiver to your serial port. If you search the
archives, there should be a webpage that has a "how to make cables" bit
on it.. If you can't find it, let me know and I'll get the URL out for
you..

As for the video in/out, it's pretty much exactly as you said it. The
only thing you didn't mention (though I am guessing you understand this)
is that an external program is executed every time your satellite needs
to change channel..

The only directv-related issue at the moment (and I am not up to date,
so this may be solved) is one of getting the PPV listings. I doubt that
zap2it has it, and I'm not sure who is supporting the current PPV
programs.. Of course, the myth documentation (www.mythtv.org/docs) is
extremely good, and searching the archives here and for mythtv-dev would
give you a complete picture of what's out there..

good luck : )

tarek : )