[mythtv-users] LVM & Disk Performance

Aran Cox spin at avalon.net
Mon Nov 17 16:28:30 EST 2003

On Mon, Nov 17, 2003 at 09:05:50AM -0800, audin at okb-1.org wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 17, 2003 at 09:38:06AM -0500, Olivier wrote:
> > I will correct the problem. James's recommendation about not using slave is
> > quite limiting though (unless there is something I don't understand). You
> > said "not using secondary (slave) IDE channel": did you mean not using slave
> > on any IDE channel, or not using the secondary IDE channel at all ? If I
> > understand this correctly, with my motherboard, this would only leaves me
> > with two slots for hard drive: primary master and secondary master.
>
> 	Yep, thats basically what you end up with on a normal motherboard with
> IDE drives.  My fileserver/mythtv box has 4 hard drives (mirrored) and a dvd
> burner, two of them are on the motherboard's controllers, two of them on a
> promise PCI IDE controller, and at the moment the DVD burner is on its own PCI
> controller.  This works well, but is a real waste of otherwise useful PCI slots.

I use 3 hard drives and 1 cd-rom on the two onboard IDE channels and get excellect
performance from all four.  Well, the CD-ROM is slow but the benchmarks on the other
drives are very respectable.

This has been discussed to death and basically, unless one of your drives is older
you should be fine running multiple drives on the same bus, especially since as
has also been discussed many times, mythtv doesn't really require terribly fast
drives.

Anyway, Oliver, please read:

http://mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-20.html#ss20.4