[mythtv-users] LVM & Disk Performance

audin at okb-1.org audin at okb-1.org
Mon Nov 17 12:05:50 EST 2003

On Mon, Nov 17, 2003 at 09:38:06AM -0500, Olivier wrote:
> I will correct the problem. James's recommendation about not using slave is
> quite limiting though (unless there is something I don't understand). You
> said "not using secondary (slave) IDE channel": did you mean not using slave
> on any IDE channel, or not using the secondary IDE channel at all ? If I
> understand this correctly, with my motherboard, this would only leaves me
> with two slots for hard drive: primary master and secondary master.

	Yep, thats basically what you end up with on a normal motherboard with
IDE drives.  My fileserver/mythtv box has 4 hard drives (mirrored) and a dvd
burner, two of them are on the motherboard's controllers, two of them on a
promise PCI IDE controller, and at the moment the DVD burner is on its own PCI
controller.  This works well, but is a real waste of otherwise useful PCI slots.

	Does anyone know if all four connectors on a normal SATA board are
usable?  Or are two of them logical slaves?

                                            Audin Malmin - audin at okb-1.org